Learning to communicate effectively and concisely is key, especially if you are searching for a job. Here are a few simple rules to follow when composing and sending business email:
- Use concise subject lines. Summarize briefly, don’t describe. Consider using subject lines that include “Action Required” or “FYI.”
- Unsubscribe to un-needed mailing lists.
- Do not CC people unless they have a vested interest in the topic.
- Minimize your use of “reply-to-all,” more often than not your response will have a more limited audience.
- Be careful when sending messages to large distribution lists think before you hit send.
- Stop courtesy emails - for example, do not send “Thanks.” Just clutters everyone’s email.
Check out the following articles to help you develop, or enhance, your communication skill, especially when sending email.