If you are an incoming freshman who has completed (or is currently enrolled in) courses at other colleges, you may be able to transfer those credits to Rensselaer. The Registrar and the appropriate campus academic department will have to evaluate the course descriptions of the courses you took, as well as an official transcript from the other college, to determine your transfer eligibility and Rensselaer course equivalency.
Rensselaer will not award transfer credit for any college courses you took in high school if those courses were used to satisfy a high school graduation requirement. In addition, if you take an equivalent course here at Rensselaer, you will forfeit your transfer credit (you can’t receive credit twice).
Please refer to the Student Records and Financial Services’ procedures for freshman transfer credits (PDF) for more complete information.
How To Transfer Credits
- Complete a Transfer Credit Approval Form (PDF).
- Get a course description of the course you wish to take from the school where you will be taking the course.
- Take the completed form and the course description to the appropriate Rensselaer department for evaluation. For example, if you want to transfer credit for a Math course, you will need the approval of the Rensselaer Math Department.
- Once you have obtained departmental approval, take the form to your advisor for his or her approval.
- If the transfer course is part of your last 30 credits, you must also obtain the approval of the Advising and Learning Assistance Center.
- Return all copies of the form to the Registrar’s Office.
Once you have completed the course, have the other college send an official transcript directly to:
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Academy Hall 2000 Level
110 Eighth St.
Troy, NY 12180-3590