125 Years of Chemistry
at
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

by Professor Henry Sjoerd Van Klooster, Ph.D.
Engineering and Science Series, No. 60, August 1949

Introduction

This article first appeared in the Journal of Chemical Education and was later reprinted as part of RPI's Engineering and Science Series. It was authored by one of Rensselaer's most distinguished faculty members, Professor Henry (Hendrik) Sjoerd van Klooster.

Dr. Van Klooster studied in Germany, Holland, and France from 1909 to 1915, after which he worked as a chemist in Holland. In 1916 he relocated to the United States to teach at Lafayette College. A year later he joined the faculty at Rensselaer, where he taught chemistry until his retirement in 1955. In addition to chemistry, he studied and taught food analysis, colloid science and metallography. Van Klooster authored over 100 books, articles, and reports, including many on the history of chemistry.

Technical Information

This article has been converted to a searchable pdf format (22.5 MB), which requires Adobe Acrobat Reader™ software and may take several minutes to download. Click on the binoculars icon on the menu bar to do a search.
[Click here to open the pdf file]

An html text version of the article is also available for quicker download.
[Click here to go to the html page]

Credits

Digital conversion and OCR: Veli A. Yavuz
Editorial review: Veli A. Yavuz and Tammy Gobert

Digitized: October 2002

Copyright

This article first appeared in the Journal of Chemical Education, Vol. 26, No. 6, pp.346-352 (July 1949); © 1949, Division of Chemical Education. Used with permission of the publisher.


* Archives Home * About the Archives * Access to Collections * RPI History *

Contact Us
© Institute Archives and Special Collections, Rensselaer Research Libraries
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 110 8th St., Troy, NY 12180-3590