Robert G. Loewy
Robert G. Loewy graduated from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in 1947 with a Bachelor of Aeronautical Engineering degree. He earned an M.S. from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a Ph.D. from the University of Pennsylvania.
From 1948 to 1962, Dr. Loewy worked in industry, for the Glenn L. Martin Co.; Piasecki Helicopter Corp.; Cornell Aeronautical Laboratory; and Vertol Aircraft Corp., which later became a division of the Boeing Company. Between September 1965 and 1966, he was chief scientist for the United States Air Force.
As a faculty member at the University of Rochester, Dr. Loewy was Professor of Mechanical and Aerospace Sciences, Director of the Space Science Center and finally Dean of the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences. He joined RPI as provost and Professor of Aeronautical Engineering and Mechanics in 1974. In 1978, Dr. Loewy assumed the position of Institute Professor, a senior teaching and research position in the School of Engineering. He later founded the Rotorcraft Technology Center at RPI and served as it's director.
Dr. Loewy is currently Chair of the School of Aerospace Engineering at Georgia Tech.