Roland W. Schmitt
- Born in 1923 in Seguin, Texas
- Received bachelors and masters degrees in physics and mathematics
from the University of Texas
- Earned a doctorate in physics from Rice University
- Employed by General Electric from 1951-1986
- Named Director of Research and Development Center at GE in 1978 then
Senior Vice President for Science and Technology and member of GE's
Corporate Executive Council in 1986.
- Member of the National Science Board, 1982-1994; Chair, 1984-1988.
- President of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1988-1993; currently
- Completed Rensselaer's New Century Campaign to raise $200 million
a year ahead of schedule.
- Introduced several new degrees including a Master's of Fine
Arts and an MBA that emphasizes management and technology.
- Chairman of the American Institute of Physics Board of Governors.
- Member and President of the Council of Scientific Society Presidents