The Infant School Property
The Rensselaer Institute found itself without a home when the Old Bank Place was claimed as part of the Amos Eaton estate in 1844. The City of Troy offered to give the Institute property formerly known as the Infant School located on the northeast corner of State and 6th Streets. The gift was made on the condition that William P. Van Rensselaer provide an endowment equal to the value of the property at $6500. The two-story brick building on the 100 x 98 foot lot was built in 1829. An additional one-story brick laboratory was built for the Institute in 1844 with money raised by subscription. The Institute remained at this site until the disastrous fire destroyed much of downtown Troy in 1862. After the fire, the Institute resumed classes in temporary quarters at Vail House (now the President's house at Russell Sage College) and the Troy University building (now the site of the Folsom Library).
Back to Rensselaer Buildings