Van der Heyden Mansion
The Rensselaer Institute, desiring a better location, moved into the
Van der Heyden Mansion or "Walnut Grove" in 1834. The Mansion,
constructed in 1794 by Jacob Van der Heyden, was a two-story brick structure
located on the southwest corner of Grand Division and Eighth Streets.
Stephen Van Rensselaer financed the building of a laboratory and study
rooms on the site. The Institute leased the property for five years and
renewed the lease for an additional two years until 1841.