A Tug-of-War contest was first held in 1921.
The class of '24, taking advantage of the student council's decision
to institute a Tug-of-War Rush, has challenged the Sophomore class
and, needless to say, 1923 has eagerly accepted the challenge.
The day of the battle will depend upon the weather, though it
will probably be staged during the last days of April. The tract of
land on Fifteenth St., facing the Hunt and White dormitories, will
be the scene of action.
The tussle will last for seven minutes, during which time no man
will be allowed to let go of the rope on which a fire hose, loaned
to the Institute by the city, will play. There will be a definite
number of men representing each class, and Grand Marshal Thompson
will notify the men of the time elapsed by signaling after five and
seven minutes respectively. It is believed that this will soon become
the most popular Rush on the Hill. [The Polytechnic April
Tug of War Rules:
Section 1. The tug of war shall be between the Sophomore and Freshmen classes and shall be held during the first week in May of each year.
Section 2. A fire hose shall be played between the contestants, who shall be started and directed by the Grand Marshal as referee.
Section 3. The contest shall be of definite length, but shall be terminated when the members of one side have been pulled through the stream of water.
Section 4. The maximum number on a side shall be 100, but the referee may alter this number equitably if he so deems necessary.
Section 5. No spiked shoes shall be worn.
The contest eventually became a part of Freshmen Week and was often
held the same day as the Grease Rush. Freshmen Week
activities were discontinued in 1959, but Tug-of-War had just a brief hiatus before it returned as a Grand Marshal week contest. The tradition also continued as part of freshmen inter-dorm contests held during student orientation.