What is it?
RPI Guardian is a free, opt-in service that is available to anyone with a valid RIN number and RCS account. This is NOT an active GPS system that allows DPS to track you upon registration. No data, including GPS, is or ever can be shared under any circumstances unless you call RPI Guardian.
Registering for RPI Guardian
RPI Guardian is a smart phone application developed for the iPhone and Android operating systems. The Rave Guardian application can be downloaded from the respective app stores (the Apple App Store or Google Play).
Rave Guardian registrants are associated to RPI based on the valid RCS account email address provided during registration within the Rave Guardian application. Rave Guardian will send the user an email containing a web-link. Registrants confirm their affiliation with RPI and are allowed to select the associated public safety organization as their Guardian, by being able to access their school email account to receive this email and click this link. The user will also be able to place a Panic call, or submit an EyeWitness tip.
Upon successfully registering for Rave Guardian, a basic Rave Guardian profile is established for the user. They can add further detail to their profile by clicking on the menu in the upper left corner of the Rave Guardian application. From this menu they can add a photo of themselves, and access the profile editor to add further details.
The Rave Guardian profile is powered by Smart911. The Smart911 profile editor may also be accessed from any web browser by navigating to www.Smart911.com, and entering the Username and Password they created when installing the Rave Guardian Application.
You must register a phone number to use RPI Guardian. Once you enter your phone number, you will be asked to enter a confirmation code that will be sent to the phone number you provided via text message.
Then, choose a unique PIN number and agree to the terms and conditions and you'll be fully registered to use RPI Guardian. All information that you provide is 100% optional and can only be seen when you call for assistance.
You can also update your unique personal profile by adding information such as your physical description, address, known allergies or other optional medical information.
How RPI Guardian Works
RPI Guardian works with your cell phone and can be used to alert Public Safety in an emergency - providing DPS with your location and other critical information required for a rapid response. By building a personal profile, information about you will be provided to Public Safety dispatchers should you call from your registered phone number.
Following successful user registration, RPI Guardian is accessible through an interactive voice menu reached by dialing a number dedicated to RPI. RPI Guardian provides peace of mind by transforming your mobile phone into a mobile blue light phone.
RPI Guardian works in two ways:
- Panic Call direct immediate connection to Public Safety with GPS location and personal profile information
- Safety Timer - Individuals can identify friends, roommates, and family as ‘Guardians’ along with Campus Safety. Individuals can set a Rave Guardian Timer. During a Timer session Guardians and Public Safety can check the status of student. If the Rave Guardian timer is not deactivated before it expires, Public Safety is automatically provided with the user’s Rave Guardian profile to proactively identify and check-in on the individual. Just follow the instructions on the app for activating and deactivating the safety timer.
Things to remember:
This new mobile service should not replace the standard practice of dialing 518-276-6611 from your cell phone (or 6611 from a campus phone) to report campus-based police, fire, or medical emergencies to the RPI Department of Public Safety.
- RPI Guardian should only be utilized in areas within the location of the RPI Troy campus at this time.
- As well with any cell phone usage, certain factors (such as signal strength, type and quality of your phone carrier, and dead spots) can affect the GPS locator accuracy.
- To maximize the full benefit of this service, your user profile should contain an accurate self-description. The more information you provide in your profile, the easier it will be for DPS to locate you, if necessary. All information is kept completely confidential.
- When using the safety timer tool, it is strongly recommended that you leave the accompanying voicemail message informing DPS about your current location, intended destination, intended course of travel, etc. This information will greatly facilitate any necessary response actions coordinated by DPS.
- Your profile information will not be viewable by DPS if you conduct a successful timer activation and de-activation. DPS will only see your profile information if your alarm has been activated (panic alarm or timer expiration).
- If you are in duress upon receiving a call back from DPS personnel, provide a PIN number one number above your actual code when prompted to recite your PIN.
Protecting Your Privacy
We want you to feel confident that any information you provide for RPI Guardian is kept completely confidential. DPS never sees your information or tracks your location unless you contact us for assistance.
DPS has worked to ensure our Vendor, Rave Mobile Safety, follows Rensselaer standards for data protection.
View Frequently Asked Questions