|Board of Trustees
P. Richard Rittelmann ’60
Retired Chairman and Principal
P. Richard Rittelmann ’60 is retired chairman and principal of Burt Hill (formerly Burt Hill Kosar Rittelmann Associates), the architecture firm he joined in 1967 and helped build into an internationally known and award-winning design firm. There were 12 staff when he joined in 1967 and 1200 architects and engineers when he retired in 2006. In addition to internationally recognized expertise in the fields of energy conserving design, research, and energy management, he led the firm’s medical and laboratory design team. He has been a frequent lecturer internationally on energy efficient design and state-of-the-art laboratories and teaching facilities, and is widely published in those areas. He retired in 2007 and held the title of chairman emeritus until the company was acquired in 2010 by the largest architecture firm in Canada, Stantec, a publicly traded company.
Internationally recognized as an expert in the field of energy conservation and solar energy, Rittelmann has published a number of papers and articles, and has served as a guest lecturer at universities on energy efficient design and state-of-the-art laboratories and teaching facilities.
Rittelmann served as chairman of the Research Advisory Board for Oak Ridge National Laboratory, concentrating on research management and evaluation. He chaired the Buildng Energy Conservation Commission for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and chaired the jury for the Business Week/Architectural Record Awards Program in 1999. He became a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects in 1986. He recently stepped down as Chairman of the Science and Technology Committee of the International Union of Architects.
He is married to Jane Rittelmann, with whom he shares three grown daughters and a son. Jane (BFA Syracuse ’60) is a member of Associated Artists of Butler County, where she, her late mother, two sisters, and a daughter have all exhibited their art work. A gallery in the Arts Center in Butler, Pennsylvania is named for the Rittelmanns.