The Troy Building was constructed in 1924 for use by the Civil Engineering Department and was paid for by the city of Troy in honor of Rensselaer’s 100th anniversary.
Over the years the building has housed several other functions including the Dean of Students office. Today, the President, Provost, Vice President for Institute Advancement, Vice President for Information Services and Technology and Chief Information Officer, Vice President for Student Life, Division of Finance, and Division of Strategic Communications & External Relations are located in the building.
The Troy Building was one of the first buildings to be completed in Rensselaer’s plan to renovate its green-roofed campus.
Reopened in August 1997, the second floor has three interactive classrooms, one of which is a classroom in the round. The tables are custom designed and have flat screen displays built into the tabletop. The space is known as the Collaborative Classroom.